Wang named Opening Day starter

wang-opening-day.jpgThe Yankees announced Friday that Chien Ming Wang will be their Opening Day starter. The Yankees are entering their final season at the current Yankee Stadium and Wang will be the last Opening Day starter in the historic ballpark.
"I'm very happy," Wang said. "This is my first time on Opening Day. For me, it's big. I'm very excited"....."It shows that the coaches trust me. I still have a lot to learn."

"He's earned it," Joe Girardi said. "He's won 19 games the last couple of years and he's thrown the ball well the last couple of years. I'm comfortable starting him Opening Day."

Wang, the current Yankees ace faces questions concerning being a legit ace. He performed poorly in his two postseason starts last year against Cleveland, but the Yankees don't seemed concerned.
"The two losses make me want to do even better this year," Wang said. "I want to make the coaches trust me even more in the future."

The season starts on March 31st, Wang's 28th birthday. The Yankees rotation has a few questions surrounding them but Wang isn't one of them. He is expected to carry his share of the load. He has won 38 games over the past two seasons, more than any other pitcher in the majors in that span. It's important the Yankees get off to a good start this season after getting off to slow starts the past few seasons. Wang hopes to help the Bombers get off to that good start.

The Yankees open against the Toronto Blue Jays at 1:05 pm on March 31. Mission 27 is about to begin.

(Frank's articles can also be found at HotStoveNewYork andOnTheBlockNY)

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati