A-Rod Will Be Dominican For '09 WBC

Alex Rodriguez is making headlines again, this time it's actually about baseball. Rodriguez says he will play for the Dominican team in the 2009 World Baseball Classic. A-Rod played for Team USA in 2006 after months of indecision on what country to represent.

“I am 100 percent sure that I will play for the Dominican Republic team,” he said. “This time, there will be no doubts and it is a dream of my mom’s that I intend to fulfill.”

Sure. Is it me or does anyone see A-Rod changing his mind at least once about this? I mean it doesn't make much of a difference to me what team he plays for but Alex is one that likes the spotlight and likes to make headlines anyway he can. From a Yankee fan's point of view, this is why he gets so much heat from us the fans. It's like he worries about everything else except the things he should be. Not to say he doesn't have a ggreat work ethic but his mind and attention always seems to wander off. I hope A-Rod sticks to his word on this one, I don't need another A-Rod dilemma.

As for the tournament itself, I like the concept of the WBC because it gives me some competitive games in March as opposed to boring spring training games. Not that the winner of the tournament says much in terms of being a great prestigious award, but hey it just gives a country bragging rights for a couple years. I root for Team USA and the Puerto Rican team since I am of Puerto Rican hertitage.

With A-Rod playing for the Dominican team it opens up a spot for Team USA at 3rd base. David Wright and Evan Longoria seem the likely candidates to fill the position for March. I'm gonna have to say Wright will probably get the starting nod.

Let's hope A-Rod doesn't get hurt in the WBC as the Yanks will need him to rebound from his "down" year in 2007, they're going to need the A-Rod of 2007 and most of those 54 HRs. It's the beginning of December and baseball is in the headlines again, I love it. Thanks in part to A-Rod...thanks! I was getting sick of hearing about Plaxico Burress, college football and college basketball.
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati