No comment from Matsui over trade talk

matsui-giants.jpgThe Yankees have had dicussions this week with the Giants regarding Hideki Matsui. On Saturday, Matsui spoke publicly for the first time since his name was linked to trade rumors.
"I have not heard anything from the Yankees and my agent," Matsui told Sankei Sports, the Japanese sports daily, in remarks translated by one of its reporters. "I cannot comment about any reports or rumors. I am going to think about (whether to waive the no-trade clause) only when the team or my agent calls me."

"All I can do right now is to prepare for the next season. Especially I have to rehab for my right knee during this offseason."

According to a source close to the situation, the talks regarding a trade are in the beginning stages. The Giants have interest in Matsui (.285 average, 25 homers, and 103 RBI in '07) due to lack of power in their lineup, now that Barry Bonds isn't returning next season. The Yankees have interest in lefties Jonathan Sanchez (1-5, 5.88 ERA in 33 games last season) and Noah Lowry (14-8, 3.92 ERA last season). In the event a trade is pulled off, Matsui would have to waive his no-trade clause.

I don't think this is a move the Yankees really need to make. If it does end up happening the Yanks will see themselves with two new lefties, one being a reliever and one a starting pitcher. If you believe Matsui is on the downside of his career and is starting to break down, then you would have to agree with the deal. Trading a proven star for young talent is always a risk, but Yankees GM Brian Cashman has committed to youth this offseason, lets see if that trend continues.

(Frank's articles can also be found at HotStoveNewYork.com )
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati