Mo Ready For '09 After Painful '08

Yesterday Mariano Rivera addressed the media and let them in on a little secret...he was pitching through a lot of pain last season.
"I felt it all day," Rivera said. "I don't want to go through that again....It was painful but I did it," said Rivera, who said the worst days were the ones when he pitched more than an inning or for the third game in a row."

It was quite the season for Rivera in 2008, it was possibly the best season of his career. Rivera had a 1.40 ERA and allowed only 41 hits over 70 2/3 innings. He struck out 77 and walked six while recording 39 saves. To Mo, it wasn't such a great year because the Yankees failed to make the playoffs for the first time since Rivera came aboard 14 years ago.
"I look at how we finished," he said. "To me, personally it was a year we didn't go nowhere."

With the new additions to the team this offseason, the Yanks look poised to return to October baseball in 2009.
"I can't wait; it's going to be an exciting year. We have a great team to bring a championship to the new Stadium."

Rivera is coming off of shoulder surgery this winter and is a question mark going into the season as to whether he will be the same Mo we have all come to know and love.
"I will find out when I get to the mound. I feel good; my shoulder feels great. But I haven't thrown."

That's no surprise, Rivera is known not to pick up a baseball during the offseason and it hasn't affected his control or arm strength.
"Ultimately he's a question mark," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. "All the reports are good, but you just don't know."

Based on Mo's track record, I wouldn't worry. He's one of those guys you may take for granted because he's always so good, so hopefully this year is no different. Another 30 plus save season is awaiting Rivera and hopefully some October baseball.


Share your thoughts on The Forum: www.ChasingRecords.com
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati

2 Responses to this post

  1. Rob Abruzzese on February 15, 2009 at 12:54 PM

    with the way this guy can still put up impressive numbers and play through pain makes me think he still has quite a while to go.

  2. Chasing800 on February 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM

    i'd say 2 more. i dunno if he would anything left after that